Saturday, April 24, 2010

Here We Go Again...Keep your Eye on the Prize.


So here's the deal... my firefighter/engineer husband is preparing for his Captain's Promotional Exam.


Before I get started let me tell you one of the biggest things I love to hate about my husband....his drive and his focus when he's striving to achieve something consumes him.

So this promotional exam is huge, not only for my hubby but for our entire family. This would be a ginormous accomplishment for him, to be promoted to Captain after only 6 years of service..That's Like Huge! Here's the thing, my husband has to at all time strive to be the best. At the very top of everything he does, which means that he not only needs to pass this exam, in his eyes he needs to be at the TOP of the qualification list.


So what does this mean for us. Well, it means that Big Daddy needs to prepare, so he has immersed himself in his $300 worth of Captain's Reference books, and we pretty much sit around and wait for him to emerge and spend time with us. No Joke....

But we've been here before. When my husband got accepted to Paramedic school we were so excited. But this came with some sacrifice. His program was Full Time, which meant he would have to quite his job, I would have to pick up more shifts waiting tables, and we would be moving in with my mom and step-dad, sharing 1 bedroom with our then 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. Yep a full size bed for us and a set of bunk beds for the kiddo's...not so cozy, but it was what it was, and it was the sacrifice we were willing to make to get him through school. We had our eyes on the prize.
I took it all. I knew he had to focus, so I took it all.
Any/all stress, problems, arguments with my mom, I swallowed them, because I couldn't let him loose his focus.
All the times I needed him to talk to or just be with, but he wasn't there because he was studying, I swallowed it.
In PM school you fail one exam, and you're out! But I had my eye on the prize.

A lot of marriages don't survive PM school. My hubby's good friend in his medic school class was one of those marriages that sir come to the stress and pressure of PM school. It's quite sad really. But for us, through the grace of God, our marriage grew stronger.


In fact that's how I got my #3 Paigie, she was my reward for getting him through PM school. He tried to get me to ask for diamond earrings or something, but nope, I wanted another baby! I'll share that story later!

So here we are, 7 years later. All of that hard work paid off. My husband has had an awesome fire career thus far. It's enabled me to be a stay-at-home-mom and be here for him and the kids. I feel so blessed. I am reaping the rewards of my patience with his absence for that year. I am living that prize I so intently had my eyes on.
So why is it I am having such a hard time with this?


It's like I'm angry every time he's studying. He's not home much, and now when he is home he's got his head in his stinkin' books! I feel like he's never here , even when he is physically here.

I know he's doing this for us. It'll mean a pay increase which makes our lives more comfortable. Plus just him proving to himself that if you put in the work all things are possible, and having made that accomplishment in his career would be such a blessing. I'm trying so hard to stay focused, to keep my eye on that new prize. Trying to be a super supportive Firewife. I am so very proud of him. He is my hero as he has moved the world for our family.


It's just this single-mom thing gets tough sometimes. That's how I feel sometimes, like a single-parent. Can anyone relate? Or am I just a big selfish idiot for wanting all my hubby's attention when he happens to be home?

Maybe I should take a page out of his book, and I need to get my focus on! I need to get focused on that new prize, and do what I did 7 years ago, and swallow it. Do what I gotta do to get it done here at home, and keep him focused so that he can kick butt on that test. Swallow my own needs for a couple of months. No great reward comes without sacrifice.
After all, it worked out then, so it should work now...right? Going it alone so he can focus is an aweful hard pill to swallow.... I'm gunna need a lot of water.



4 comments:

  1. Lady hang in there! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I am currently laid off so my FF has been working 2 jobs, both FT, and both in the fire service. As I write this reply he is actually at the day end of 60hours in a row. He will get 12hours off tonight then his regular 24 tomorrow.

    Some nights I am extremely lonely and CRAVE adult conversation. Others I try and enjoy what make me happy. The kids are the best. I have really focused on doing something fun everyday with them. Either the park, movie night, crafts, yard work etc.

    I have to admit though that I haven't found the cure for the alone times after the kids are in bed. You can only watch so much tv, play on the internet, and read books.

    I have found my extended twitter and blogger community a huge help as well. At least I now know other women are feeling the same way as me and dealing with the same things.

    Shari Simpson
    http://twointwoout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck lady! Hang in there, you can do it!

    The single-mom-for-a-short-time thing SUCKS. I did it for a year when Sean was in Kuwait. I can't imagine doing it all the time.

    Like you said: Keep your eye on the prize! It'll come sooner than you know. You're so strong to be there for him. He's very lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how hard it is to feel like a "single mom" while your husband is trying to better himself. But I guess the silver lining there is that he's trying to better himself for the benefit of you and the kiddos. It's something I have to remind myself of when my husband talks of going back to a regular line unit (he's military) which would mean he would deploy. I've already gone through one deployment as a mom. It's a hard life to be mom/dad and try to keep your shit straight while balancing it all. I know the anger. I've felt it before too. I try to remind myself that my husband has to do these things so that I can be a stay at home mom/student while our son is still young.

    Keep your chin up. Keep your eye on the prize and I know we just met, but should you feel the need to vent, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I know exactly what you mean about paramedic school - my guy went to Mt. SAC. I was pregnant with our second, and it just about did me in! Every day was another day he could possibly get below 80% on a test and be kicked out. Talk about stress!!! Definitely worth it, just really stressful. Good luck to your firefighter, I hope he gets the promotion!

    ReplyDelete